Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Cabinet Design

  1. #1
    Hostboard Member Tranquil's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2005
    Posts
    69
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am looking to build cabs for my recently purchased Mod 422-8z woofers (15")I also own a pair of N-1201-8A network units purchased new in the late 70's still in box. I also have a pair of 802-8D drivers and I looking to purchase 811-B horns I think they will be more suited for home even though I owned 511's in the 70's and I still remember the sound. I'm new to the board but need some specs to build these cabs I am not looking at horn loaded, so whats the next efficient design? Does anyone have info on my woofers they are not listed on the site?
    Thank you

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    Probably the design you would want is the old classic bass reflex. Or ducted port as they are called today.
    You will need to know the Thiele Small parameters of the driver to design it. You might have to measure them yourself. See my recent post about measuring this below.
    To design the box, there are a few good shareware programs available on line. I used Box Plot with good results. Others here might have other favorites.
    I think the 422-8Z is a musical instrument speaker????
    Ron

  3. #3
    Hostboard Member Tranquil's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2005
    Posts
    69
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The person I bought them from said they were removed from a voice of the theatre enclosure I can even see the faded area where they were exposed. Thank you for your reply.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member donaldpatten's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 26th, 2004
    Posts
    336
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    I suggest the 861 : about 3 cubic ft. It sounds great with a 605A . I built one for a center channel and omitted the rectangular port ( 2? X 3 ?) and put 3?dia X 7? tubes in the two other ports .See below for plans :

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...1968-plans.htm

    Altec 1968 Enclosure Design Guide

    Model 861
    Don

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member donaldpatten's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 26th, 2004
    Posts
    336
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Sorry I got the wrong Question
    Don

  6. #6
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi, Tranquil,
    The 422-8z was used in the 1200 series VOTT cabs in the 70s, marketed mainly to the PA/musician user. They used the same coil/cone assy. as the 423-8z, and were combined largely with 807 and 808 drivers, on 811s and 511s, none of which, I'm sorry to say, really tells you much. I've got a pair, and to my ear, I'd call them a match to the 418B (still little help). They're obviously suited to horn loading, though have a wider BW than the 416 or 515. My pair is now in some 5 cu ft sealed boxes, crossed at 1200 hz to 909s. I'm sure the bottom end could be improved by venting, but as stage monitors they fill the bill nicely, and are very sweet with vocals. For HIFI, I'd definitely go vented, either by measuring and calculating, or trial and error, the former being a great way to learn how to juggle relationships and tradeoffs, the latter giving results if you don't care "why".
    "Till the Wheels Fall Off and Burn!"
    BFISH

  7. #7
    Hostboard Member Tranquil's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2005
    Posts
    69
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thank for the info Bfish. It's strange that these are not listed anywhere I'm not sure if I will use them but knowing where and what they were used for is definately going to help with my decision. My project is still on the drawing board.

    Tranquil

  8. #8
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Tranquil,
    I hope I get corrected if wrong, but from the limited info you mention, and some personal experience, I consider the 422-8Z the equivalent of the 418B, and the 423-8Z the equivalent of the 421A. Although most of Altec's MI speakers are generally pooh-poohed for HIFI apps, keep in mind that much of our favorite music was MADE with them, so it can be easily PLAYED with 'em too, and it doesn't take extreme EQ'ing to do so! Since I'm about to slip into the topic of musicians, their gear, and their treatment by so-called audiophiles that claim to love music, a subject that I'll save for a later and greater post, I digress..........Good Luck!

    "Till the Wheels Fall Off and Burn!"

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    >I consider the 422-8Z the equivalent of the 418B, and the 423-8Z the equivalent of the 421A.
    ====
    Interesting! I've messed with many Altec MI speakers and have never seen/heard of these.
    ====
    >Although most of Altec's MI speakers are generally pooh-poohed for HIFI apps, keep in mind that much of our favorite music was MADE with them, so it can be easily PLAYED with 'em too, and it doesn't take extreme EQ'ing to do so!
    ====
    This is the very reason you don't want to use MI drivers for HI-FI since the object is to reproduce the signal, not add another layer of distortion to it. That said, many CDs are very 'dry' sounding so the added distortion can be pleasing, but a good recording can be 'colored' enough to screw up vocals if you like to listen occasionally at ~live levels (been there, done that with 421s).

    Anyway, if they are drop in replacements for 418s, then using the 418-8H specs here on the site should get you 'close enough' WRT cab Vb/initial vent dims.

    GM

  10. #10
    Hostboard Member Tranquil's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2005
    Posts
    69
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    After reading all your comments and giving this some carefull thought, I have decided to trade in my 422-8Z and start looking for a couple of 416-8B's. I owned four of these a long time ago and I will always remember how efficient they were especially when listening at low levels late at night.WOW! I have been away from Altecs for some time kept my new N1201 and my drivers in a closet for years, but I could never stop talking about Altecs. Years after here I am I want to reunite with my Altecs! Could someone please send me the prints for the Model 19 I know it's out there somewhere.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.